Monday, February 26, 2018

One day in life in Nyankunde....



What a joy it has been to be welcomed back ‘home’.  Our lives are full and our hearts feel warm and at peace.  But that ease and peace is often destabilized by the flip side of being welcomed back to Nyankunde- the lack of resources, poor organization and all around relative dysfunction of systems and institutions.   Here are a few vignettes from just one day…..

I arose early to a once again grey sky, very abnormal for here.  Another day of wondering if the sun would sufficiently charge our batteries or not?  Will we be able to keep things in our fridge and freezer from going bad?  How will I heat up the kid’s water for baths tonight?

At 7:00 AM I went down to the hospital, late to hospital women’s prayer and found them in the middle of intercession.  Often there is a short prayer time, then a Biblical teaching, and then announcements.  But the weight of life led them to focus on prayer this morning. Life is HARD for hospital employees these days.  Salaries have been 20-40% of what is due the employees, leaving some of them with a $20/month salary.  Cost of living is not low, $20 doesn’t go very far.  Many have become desparate. Four of the six urgent care nurses accepted bribes as payment from patients who fled the hospital and didn’t pay for their hospitalization.  They are all lovely people, but made poor decisions in their desperation. 
A birthday party at our friend's house

Some Congolese friends had us over for a welcome back to Nyankunde dinner

Luke and Miriam beg to go to Papa John and Grandma Cher's house to watch birds, play ball and just get loved on! (dear MAF friends)

I left prayer early as I had agreed to teach nursing students this morning.  But I arrived to a classroom full of students and a teacher already in full-swing.  Ooops, they had forgotten to tell me that they had changed the schedule and I wouldn’t be teaching today.  Really?  I decided to go see if I was needed in Pediatrics and on my way was consulted about 2 patients.  One of the patients is a 10 year old orphan with HIV.  I was told the hospital hadn’t been able to supply him with anti-retroviral medications for the past 4 days.  Just as I was heading to the health center to try to figure out why not, I stopped by pediatrics and found out that the malnutrition inpatient program had been out of their special fortified treatment milk for the past 2 days. In the past, when the NGO that supplies the therapeutic milk doesn’t show up, the hospital buys local milk and they make their own ‘medicated milk’ by adding sugar, oral rehydration salts and oil.  Unfortunately, they haven’t paid the ‘milk ladies’ for their local milk and have a huge debt, so the milk ladies are now unwilling to sell more milk to the hospital for the malnourished patients.  Two weeks ago the pediatric service brought this need before me also, that they were once again out of therapeutic milk.  I talked with the administration and asked them to try to start buying local milk again, but in order to supply milk right away, I found a local missionary who was willing to donate a large quantity of powdered milk.  Today they finally ran out of this stock of powdered milk.  No progress has been made in paying the debt to the local dairies, and no more powdered milk exists. Ahhhh!!!!  How to move forward?  Lack of resources isn’t the main problem, mostly just good organization, planning and communication.

I made my way over to the administrative offices to try to work through the milk problem and ran into one of the hospital chaplains.  Recently quite a few toys have gone missing from our home.  The other day I noticed that beyond a missing soccer ball, both boxes of markers had disappeared and many parts of our lego sets.  I asked some of Luke’s friends who happened to be around if they knew what had happened to all of our markers.  “Oh”, they said, “We saw Johnny (real name not given for obvious reasons!) at school giving them out to his friends”.  Luke’s friends left and showed up 30 minutes later with a few of the markers and multiple lego toys.  “We found these at Johnny’s house!” they said.  Johnny is the son of the hospital chaplain I ran into.  I explained the situation and asked if he had seen his son with any of these items.  He hadn’t.  Awkward.  But I think it was the right thing to do.  Not to shame Johnny, but so he’s given the chance to learn, grow and change if he did indeed steal.

I finally decided I’d just go home early and had made my way most of the way home when I was stopped by the nursing school teacher who had been teaching in my classroom this morning.  “Oh”, he said, “The students are all waiting for you at the school.  I was told to stop early so you could teach at 10:00”.  WHAT?!  No one had said a thing to me.  Ah, what I would give for organization and communication.  Soooo, I turned around and went back to the school.  My materials hadn’t yet been copied for the students because it had been cloudy with insufficient solar energy, but soon I was set up to teach. 

In the afternoon I returned to the nursing school to lead a Bible study with a dear Congolese friend.  It was a really special time, and at the end we shared prayer requests.  My friend asked for prayer because of fear she’s been having.  She grew up in Nyankunde and had to flee when war came as a little girl.  Now she is a mother of 3, two of which are little girls.  She is struggling against fears of war coming again, and having to flee with her young family.  She said her oldest daughter, 7, has been breaking down crying recently, asking if war is coming, because she now understands French and hears reports of instability in the region.  My heart could hardly hold this prayer request.  I think we in the western world often think that Africans are just sort of used to instability, and it doesn’t affect them much, they are resilient, right?  Oh please pray for our friends, for peace in their hearts.  That God would meet them, encourage them and love them, despite the circumstances.  Pray for peace in our region.


Thanks for joining me for one day in Nyankunde…..

No comments:

Post a Comment